Update 4: Winter Reunion in Kyoto

From: Alcvin Ramos (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 08:30:38 PDT

Update 4: Winter Reunion in Kyoto
January 2000

But even deep in this harsh cold dead of winter, it is a joyous time when
the sound of the bamboo can be heard, warming the hearts of its listeners
and pupils. I just got over a sumo-sized flu that had me out cold for 4
days. I'm still feeling weak from its after-effects. It's hibernation time
anyways and this is a good a time as any to give you an update. I've been
here for about five months now and life has taken root here nicely. Many
interesting things have transpired and many fascinating people have I met
this winter including the bamboo sound sculptor Akinori Matsumoto whom I
call the "Bamboo Monk", and shakuhachi master and jazz musician, John Kaizan
Neptune who lives in a geodesic dome house deep in the Japanese country
side. But I the highlight was my winter vacation spent in Kyoto* with my
shakuhachi-making teacher, Hoshi Bonchiku. He is one of the handful of
professional shakuhachi makers in Japan. His story started almost 30 years
ago when he was a young man, just 20 years old riding his bicycle across
Canada one summer. During his trip he met a Japanese ex-patriate and
shakuhachi master, living in Vancouver. This was Takeo Yamashiro, also
affectionately known as Take-san**. Take-san introduced Hoshi to shakuhachi
for the first time and he was so moved by the instrument that he returned to
Japan and immediately began studying shakuhachi under the Tozan school and
the following year began learning to make shakuhachi under the celebrated
master maker, Tamai Chikusen. After receiving his master's license from the
Tozan school, he started studying under the master of the Kinko and Jin
Nyodo tradition of shakuhachi, Mitsuhashi Kifu. I first met Hoshi through
Take-san, when he visited Vancouver in 1998. He returned after 24 years to
show his first teacher (Take-san) what he had accomplished in his life. He
has become a fine maker of top quality shakuhachi and a wonderful musician.
My next meeting with Hoshi was this past December 1999 in Kyoto along with
Take-san where he was invited to give a lecture on social work at a
University. Our reunion was something out of a dream. We spent many joyful
hours talking and enjoying eachother's company. The high points were our
visits to the temples, especially Meian-ji*** and Tofukuji where we played
shakuhachi together in the beautiful, ancient surroundings where the spirit
of old Japan could still be felt. One day before heading to the temples, we
stopped and ate at a small kitchen run by two energetic, friendly, old
ladies. Down the counter from us was an old man who looked like a regular.
At one point, the ladies asked us to play. Take-san said, "We'll let the
young guy play a piece," (That meant me) So, I took out my 2.4 shakuhachi
and played Yamagoe. I wasn't warmed up but I played the piece so many times
that it was second nature. I got into a zone and spaced out until the piece
was over. When I opened my eyes, the old ladies just stood there not saying
anything and the old man was wiping tears away from his eyes. After a few
moments, the old ladies started to clap and give me compliments. As I was
standing there, a couple walked in and looked kind of irritated since I was
blocking their way to a seat at the counter, so I excused myself and went
back to my seat. When we were done eating, we said our goodbyes, and walked
to Meian-ji to offer prayers and take pictures in front of the large stone
with the kanji-glyph of "suizen" carved into the face. Then we walked to
Tofuku-ji where we played in front of the large hall where a gigantic statue
of Amida Buddha is housed. The acoustics of that space are incredible, not
to mention the stunningly beautiful architecture and landscape design of the
temple/shrine grounds. We spent the afternoon there playing shakuhachi and
taking pictures then went back to Hoshi-sensei's place to relax and drink
more sake! Take-san had to return to Vancouver early so the rest of the
week, Hoshi-sensei and I spent getting to know eachother better. I practiced
shakuhachi every day and played at the temples every morning. On New Year's
Eve, Hoshi-sensei cooked rice cake soup for dinner and we meditated as the
clock struck midnight. Then we went out and walked around, stopping at the
great Chion-ji Buddhist Temple where we offered prayers and struck a large
gong to accentuate our good energies for the new year. Then we walked to
Gion, to Yasaka Shrine where it was thoroghly packed with people enjoying
the carnival atmosphere and clamoring to buy good luck charms (mamori) and
memorabilia to take back home with them. Many were still observing an
ancient shinto tradition of carrying peices of rope with their ends burning
which they obtained from the local temple and spinning them around to keep
it burning till they get home then light the first fire of their stoves for
the year with this burning rope. We got back home at about 3:00am. Hoshi
sensei went to bed. Dressed warmly with down jacket and wearing my new white
zori and black tabi, I walked to Meian-ji to play 1000 long tone prayers on
my shakuhachi in front of the ancient, wooden gates, as fog, soft rain, and
morning mist blanketed the atmosphere. Then I walked to Tofuku-ji and played
honkyoku as I watched the sun rise over the great dragon-scaled roof tops of
the ancient temples and hills of Kyoto. At 6:00am the massive wooden doors
of the great Buddha hall opened, the sound of the deep creakings echoing
through the hall.

I returned to Saitama tired from the long bus ride from Kyoto, but happy for
coming back a different person.

*Kyoto is the old capital city of Japan and means "eastern capital". There
is height regulation to the buildings to preserve the scenic beauty of the
landscape and mountains. It is a charming mix of old and new. There are
hundreds of old, well-preserved beautiful temples woven into the fabric of
the city amongst modern urban architecture.

**Take-san moved to Vancouver in 1971 to escape the tyranny and stifling
atmosphere of Japan at the time. He was the last uchi-deshi (live in
student) of Kikusui Kofu at his temple in Kyoto. When he first moved to
Vancouver Take-san played shakuhachi on the streets to put food in his
mouth. By good fortune, he was offered a job as head of a Japanese community
social work organization, called Tonari Gumi where he still works to this
day. When I moved to Vancouver 4 years ago Take-san became my mentor and
friend and still has great influence on me.

***Meian-ji (or Myoan-ji) was the old headquarters for the Komuso in the Edo
period.

Face in the wind, blowing good ki to you,

Al

Asaka Shakuhachi Circle
Alcvin Ramos (Shakuhachi)
2-2-18 Dream Palace #201
Asaka-shi, Nishibenzai
Saitama-ken, Japan T351-0021

Phone: 048-451-0414
Kita-Asaka Kominkan (Shakuhachi Dojo): 048-473-0558
Office: 03-3486-7667
(Outside Japan first dial 001-81 then delete first 0)

Email: komuchiku@hotmail.com

    "There is something deeper if you would go deeper,
     if you go to the source of where the music is being
     made, you'll find something more interesting. At the
     source, everyone's individual music is made. If you
     ask what that deep place is, it's your own life and
     it's knowing your own life, that own way that you
     live."

                                     Watazumi-do Shuso