Re: long tone practice

From: Feadog@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 05:07:43 PDT

Hi Tots,

I 'm very happy with James Schlefler's "Shakuhachi Workbook" and CD. He has a
sample page on his web site.

http://audio.osagedigital.com:7070/ramgen/sparklingbeatnik/workbook.rm

Monty's site has a different sample page.

Before I play these pages, I usually:

- play a series of low ROs, holding each tone as long as I can and making
slight adjustments to get the best timber.
- play a series of low ROs, holding each tone for less than half a breath,
and then "breaking" to the high RO.
- depending on how much time I have, I may proceed up the scale, repeating
the above for each note.

I consider myself a beginner, so this is from a beginner's perspective.

Bill D'Ambrogio

In a message dated 7/21/00 6:08:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,