Re: long tone, but what about the body?

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 15:44:54 PDT

Hi Adam,

While I prefer soft tissue to blow my nose, instead of rough computer
paper, I appreciate your point.

I couldn't agree with you more that we need to incorporate some of the
principles of western body usage and alignment to our shakuhachi practice.
I feel that is an area that is so often ignored or given lip service too in
shakuhachi instruction. These Western practices have much to teach us that
we can apply to our practice.

There are examples of players having bodily injuries from body misuse
during their blowing that doesn't seem to be addressed in tradition
instruction. Alexander Technique is one example of a system that helps
musicians of all sorts learn to use their bodies better while they play.
Yoga principles, Feldenkrais, etc all have something to offer.

I think this issue needs to be explored and addressed to a much higher
degree in the shakuhachi world. John Singer and Ralph Samuelson gave a
workshop on the topic at the World Shakuhachi festival that was attended by
too few people. The word needs to spread!

I have experienced pain in my thumb that has taken me a long time of
exploration to discover where my tensions lie and how I can modify my
posture, grip, relaxation, etc. to help reduce the pain. Its not totally
solved, but I'm making a little progress. Learning to play this instrument
is hard enough without having to deal with physical pain from body misuse.

And of course, better posture and relaxation leads to better tone
production and better playing.

(And if you don't like what I said, find a "SOFT" tissue to blow your nose
with! Recycling paper is great, but spare yourself the scratchy noise!)

Thanks,
Herb
"If you knew how much work went into it, you wouldn't call it genius."
   Michelangelo