Re: shakuhachi and injury

From: adam friedman (adamf@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 10:21:49 PDT

Hi all,

as Zachary states that the non-verbal method of "traditional" teaching
produces both fewer decent players but also more superb ones. The
traditional teaching method is largely a rote learning system, geared to
produce students that can reproduce the nuance and detail of their
teacher's performance. Because of the extreme emphasis on form- it is
not surprising that more players master the form (is this the meaning of
"superb"?).

I do not think the central aim of most shakuhachi teaching in Japan is
self awareness. David's point is that the shakuhachi learning has the
potential to be much more than just an isolated musical activity.
Infused with somatic ideas (yoga, alexander technique, etc.) it can
teach us things that have a wider and more potent application to daily
life. To me, this expanding awareness is priceless and should be shared
with everyone interested, rather than reserved for one's top students.

Adam Friedman