Update 7: Spaced Out in Kumamoto

From: Alcvin Ramos (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 06:56:34 PST

'Experience of space is a criterion of spiritual activity and of a higher
form of awareness.'

           --Lama Anagarika Govina

Update 7: Spaced Out in Kumamoto

As I fly up into the canopy of clouds deep in the center of this land, a
feeling of deep awe overcomes me; blood rushes swiftly to my head, hitting
endorphin points in the web of my brain centers. It's so visible and
clear...this great body of magnificence. Kanto plain opens out before me in
its beautiful grandeur. Deep green hills and mountain formations and seismic
waves of valley shadows flow up to merge with the perfect symmetry of
Fuji-san, majestic, crowned with a ring of mist. The land is so intense up
here. Things look much more beautiful and whole from afar. The clouds weave
around me like the breath of a great dragon moving the heavens through my
being. Its ancient reflection enters my eyes and stirs the deep wells of my
soul. It's so beautiful. Sun and moon suspended in the sky strike in and
out in spirals of silken desires.

I arrive in Kumamoto airport just 90 minutes later and make my way to the
hotel in the center of the city. It's nearly winter and it still feels like
summer here! I actually prefer the more northern climates. But I love
travelling to new places to play shakuhachi. This is the way life should be!
I spend Saturday getting acquainted with the beautiful city and the
Prefectural Performance Hall where the competition will take place. I
practice for a while in one of the rehearsal rooms then go exploring around
Kumamoto Castle.

Sunday, the next day, the all-Japan hogaku competition is now in progress
and Okuda-san and I make our way to the stage. Harago-san was first up for
the shakuhachi players and he played "Hyun" by Yamamoto Hozan. He is a
brother player, since he studies under Furuya-sensei too. After him was
Uraguchi-san who just finished playing Oshu Sanya. His teacher is the
shakuhachi maker, Kobayashi Ichijou. (I love his flutes!) Now Okuda Tohru,
who studies under Yonezawa Hiroshi, is up playing Chikurai Gosho by Minoru
Miki. He sounds great. My turn. Tsuru no Sugomori again. I walk up on stage,
bow and close my eyes, and......think of the True Crane. Fingers a little
tense. Relax. Somehow I get through the piece without too many mistakes, but
I was too self conscious. Too many mental knots. Not enough space. Humbling
experience. Still a beginner. Orimoto Keita is up after me and will play
Kogarashi. I wish I was just in the audience so I could hear all the
shakuhachi players each play their piece. I wanted to concentrate on the
other players as well, but I was very introspective that day, so couldn't
focus outward very well.

The results of the competition were held a few hours later and I was
surprised that each division wasn't judged separately as advertised in the
brochure. Actually, I wasn't quite sure how they judged it! Anyway, the top
prize winner was a shamisen player named Kikuo Yuji who played 'Tanuki'. I
missed his performance, but he must've been amazing because the guy after
him, Takasaki Yuji, who played a Tsugaru Shamisen piece was great. A few
other shamisen players were next in line and honorable mentions went to a
koto player, Sasaki Hazuki, and shakuhahi player (Okuda Tohru). Okuda-san
really played wonderfully, despite a cold he had. He's quite an interesting
person; not only is he a fine shakuhachi player, but he has a Phd in genetic
science and specializes in the production of wine, and drinking it is part
of his job! That's the life! After the competition I hung out with
Okuda-san and Harago-san. I suggested we three practice the piece, "Kanae",
by M. Matsumoto, a beautiful trio played by Yokoyama Katsuya, Yamamoto
Hozan, and Aoki Reibo (San Bon Kai) in the past. I want to perform it with
them before I leave back to Canada next year. Now I'm preparing for my
performance with Kakushin Nishihara (biwa) this November 4.

The flame colored persimmons ripening on my fridge remind me that a year has
past since I returned to this country and the transformations have been
profound. Meeting fascinating people, learning so many interesting things,
observing my shakuhachi playing improve, solidifying relationships with
people, and making decisions that will affect the rest of my life.

Lying on my futon, the autumn shin-getsu moon shining through my window and
fu-rin wind chimes tinkling outside. I think how sound creates. A thought or
a feeling creates a wave of energy around you to resonate at the same
vibratory level. We might not think so, but thoughts are actually sound
vibrating and broadcasting on a range beyond human hearing. Form cannot
exist without sound and sound cannot exist without space. 'The fundamental
element of this cosmos is space. Space is the all-embracing principle of
higher unity. Its nature is emptiness; and because it is empty, it can
contain and embrace everything. In contrast to Space is the principle of
substance, of differentiation, of "thingness". But nothing can exist without
space. Space is the pre-condition of all that exists, be it in material of
immaterial form, because we can neither imagine an object nor a being
without space. Space is not only a conditio sine qua non of all existence,
but a fundamental property of consciousness.'* The whole universe was
created, they say, with a single sound. Must practice.

Al

*Taken from the book, Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism by Lama Anagarika
Govinda

P.s. If you haven't already heard, there will be a new CD reprint of
Watazaumi-do's previous recordings being released at the end of
November/beginning of December. It is being produced by Kanda Kayu, the well
know Komuso scholar in Japan in conjunction with Meijiro Shakuhachi Shop in
Tokyo. Only 1000 CDs will be made so reserve some while there is still time.
It is a good opportunity to access the legendary sound of Watazumi-do. To
order go to Meijiro's web page (English and Japanese)
http://www.meijiro-jp.com.