Acoustics of the shakuhachi

From: Joe Wolfe (J.Wolfe@unsw.edu.au)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 19:36:34 PST

The shakuhachi newsgroup
Dear readers,

we have begun some investigations of the acoustics of the shakuhachi, and
thought that some of our work may interest you. In particular, the
Acoustical Society of America asked us to write up a non-technical version
of a paper that we shall give at their meeting in December. This version is
at

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/ASA.html

We have also begun a web site to report our work on shakuhachi acoustics.
It is at

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/shakuhachiresults.html

This site only has a few results at the moment, but it has links to our
related work on other members of the flute family. One can also download a
paper comparing the acoustics of shakuhachi and transverse flutes. We shall
add more material to the shakuhachi site from time to time.

We acknowledge and thank Tom Deaver and Riley Lee for their help with this
project.

Joe Wolfe
School of Physics University of New South Wales Sydney