cracking

From: Nelson Kirsch (NMKirsch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 06:03:46 PST

Greetings,

The subject of cracking is one which could take up volumes, and each has
their own favorite method of prevention.

One of mine is the "Dampit" (I'm sure many have already heard of this)
which is a worm like rubber tube with a sponge type material inside and
a rubber washer at one end. It is sold in most music stores and is used
primarily by string players to protect their instruments. The one that
fits the shakuhachi is the cello size.

Dip the tube in water, lightly squeeze and dry off the excess and insert
in the barrel of the shakuhachi.(the rubber washer prevents it from
falling through) The slow evaporation from the sponge supplies a
constant source of humidity to the flute, which should of course be in a
plastic bag.

One of the other real dangers to our flutes is temperature and humidity
change. It may be fine inside it's case, but then if one takes it out in
a very low humidity situation or in a place of extreme temperature
differential cracking might occur.

I've heard it said, "it's not a matter of if -- just when"

Which by the way, is why I have mine insured against "all perils"

Cheers,

Nelson