oils

From: DAVID SAWYER (dsawyer@boulder.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 18:53:45 PST

Monty's camellia oil is almost odor-free and blond.
It seems to be quite refined, it doesn't smell like a 'food' product.
I'm not convinced of the usefulness of an applied non-drying oil. If a flute
is kept humidified and played often it seems unnecessary. I do have a 2.3
made by Helen Dryz which is sealed with a liberal dried coating of linseed
oil...it smelt strongly for about 2 years! But I feel that it probably gives
a little more resistance to cracking than otherwise. I rubbed it down with
600 grit paper to give a lovely surface feel.
David Sawyer