oiling

From: toby (kymarto@gol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 08:33:27 PST

If you guys are not oiling and are not having problems with cracking then
more power to you. I did have a flute crack--straight through the top joint.
I had just bought it (a wonderful old Chikuzen) and had it in a hotel room
that was quite dry. And BOOM! there she went. It has been repaired but I
would not want to repeat the experience...

I have a number of old flutes (on the order of 50 years, possibly more) that
do not have any inclination to crack, and several more of that age that have
cracked and been repaired. Most of the sensei at the Meijiro workshop seem
to have a number of repaired flutes, and I notice that many of the
professional players are playing on banded flutes. John Neptune has bands on
almost all the flutes that he plays in concert. Some were cracked, and
others were banded to prevent cracking.

I do notice that when I oil my flutes, as I mentioned, they change
dimension. Formerly very tight joints loosen up. The oiling of woodwind
instruments in general is controversial, with some parties advising regular
oiling and others saying that it is neither necessary nor helpful. Now I
find that the same is true in the world of (much more porous) bamboo. All of
the Meijiro sensei and other makers that I have spoken to have recommended
regular oiling to prevent cracking. I figure that they must know something
with their experience, and even if they are wrong I lose nothing but a
little time and a little oil. I figure that an ounce of prevention is worth
the proverbial pound of cure, with apologies to the metric system...

Best,

Toby