Re: Bore Profiles

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 23:01:31 PST

    Hi Nelson,

    You can find twelve graphs of shakuhachi bore profiles ranging in
    length from 1.3' to 2.4' at the following URL:
    http://www.shaku8.com/makeshaku8/data/naikei.html The site is in
    Japanese, but the information is self-explanatory. A link to this URL
    as well as other informative flute making sites can be found on my
    links page at http://www.shakuhachi.com/L-FluteMaking.html

    I came across a printed version of these graphs several years ago
    (pre-Internet) and have been told that they represent a composite of
    many shakuhachi whose parameters have been averaged for each length
    of flute. At that time, I used them along with a database of
    numerous bore profiles I personally measured when developing a
    process for mathematically scaling shakuhachi of different sizes.
    Needing to find a constant that defined the ratio of cross-sectional
    bore diameter to pitch (c.p.s), I used this data to analyze three
    critical points along the length of the resonating air column. In
    this process I made a 2.3' (Key of B-flat) based on a very
    well-playing 1.8' (Key of D). The result was quite remarkable. The
    2.3' not only played in tune with excellent resonance, but exhibited
    many of the timbral characteristics of the instrument from which it
    was scaled. All of which is to say that these graphs may have some
    practical value and be worth fussing with.

    One important aspect missing from the charts, however, is the
    inclusion of data on finger hole size and placement. In measuring the
    bore of a shakuhachi, those five little holes (frequently tapered
    radically toward the inside) represent Grand Canyons of acoustical
    space and need to be factored into the equation. No simple task as
    the shakuhachi maker -- unlike his or her colleagues who make
    recorders, Baroque flutes and any number of other precision bore
    woodwinds -- does not get to make the "outside" of the instrument.
    Only God or Gaia makes the bamboo, hence hole depth, shape and
    placement becomes the proverbial "monkey wrench" thrown into the data
    of bore profiles measured at plus-or-minus .01mm. There is no
    mass-producing a shakuhachi or, at least, a well-playing one.

    Another thing to consider is that while these graphs represent
    average cross-sectional diameters, almost all traditionally-made
    shakuhachi have bores that are elliptical in shape. The major axis is
    horizontal, the minor axis vertical and the overall ellipse (being
    hand-made) sort of wobbles through the length of the flute. (It takes
    me about 4 to 5 hours to measure one of these buggers). Whatsmore,
    the oval cross section becomes more, but not completely, circular as
    it approaches the center of the flute. The charts drawn on this web
    site, taken at face value, represent bores that are, literally,
    circular and concentric in shape. There is no information given on
    the dimensions of the ellipse or how it moves and changes. My own
    research has concluded that this aspect of the shakuhachi bore is
    by-and-large irrelevant and far overshadowed by the crucial dimension
    of bore profile measured along the length of the instrument. You can
    make an fine playing shakuhachi no matter the shape of its cross
    sectional diameter.

    All the best for '01.

    Monty

    --