Re: How many octaves?

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 13:16:11 PST

More than that!

The answer depends, I suppose, on your definition of a 'good shakuhachi'.

Most decent1.8 length flutes can produce e, f#, g, g#, a, b, (or is it a#
and not b?) and c. These are all pitches above the tsu-no-meri (d#)
mentioned by Zachary. If you count the otsu no ro meri, then that's three
complete octaves minus a few pitches, notably f-natural, for example.

7-hole 1.8 shakuhachi can produce the high f-natural too.

Longer flutes, for example 2.3 or 2.4 (with a fundamental or otsu no ro of A
below middle C) should produce the third octave above otsu no ro, or the
pitch 'A' way above the treble staff. This means that when the otsu no
ro-meri (a-flat) and otsu no ro dai meri (g) are added, one is getting into
the fourth octave!

Many of these 'dai kan' notes are not very useable in performance (for
example, with the 1.8, most of the pitches above the g#), but are great for
developing one's embouchure muscles.

Best regards, Riley