Re: A simple Kinko/Tozan question!

From: toby (kymarto@gol.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 19:35:04 PST

I do know a few other differences. The Tozan shakuhachi traditionally used
red lacquer for the bore, while the Kinko normally used black or dark brown.
Also the third tone hole from the bottom was the same size as the other
holes in the Tozan flutes, while it was .5 mm smaller in Kinko flutes.
Modern makers no longer seem to follow these traditions strictly, and many
modern flutes are therefore identical except for the utaguchi.

Maybe we can get Tom Deaver to jump in here and comment--he would really be
the one to ask.

Toby