Root Envy

From: Brian Miller (millerbk@lancnews.infi.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 18:39:57 PST

Greetings,
I'm out here near the East Coast of the USA, in never-never land, which
means that the closest that I've come to bamboo is in an old ratan chair
in the basement. I'm currently using a PVC pipe to blow on and have put
in enough practice time to realize that this endevour is addicting.
Hopefully (my wife just read this) a "real" bamboo shak will soon be in
my future, but I really don't know anything about selecting an
instrument.

Now, my dilema is that I don't want to invest a fortune, several hundred
dollars will do. I have been advised that the best investment in this
price range would be one of the cast bore student grade instruments.
However, I see these ascetically appealing cast bore root end shak
advertised on the WEB and wonder if it's worth spending the extra
several hundreds of dollars for one of these. (I also play mandolin -
ever heard of "scroll envy"? I suspect that we're dealing with a deep,
psychological sickness here.) Anyone have an opinion (on the value of
the root shak)?

Which raises several other questions:
   Does a root-end shak sound any different (better?) than a non-root
instrument?
   Will a cast bore shak be easier to blow than my PCV pipe?
   Any recommendations amoung builders?

Please feel free to reply off list to keep the traffic down.
Thanks & Cheers,
   Brian