Re: Ji-nashi

From: Philip Horan (philip_horan@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 21:11:26 PST

<DIV>
<P>This is my first mailing to the list. I&rsquo;m from Ireland but am presently living and studying the shakuhachi in Hiroshima. On the topic of ji-nashi. I am presently put the finishing touches to my first shakuhachi (hassun). Please forgive me but I am only a novice at making shakuhachi. It has a good breathy tone and is well tuned up to re in the second octave. Previous messages talked about shakuhachi being partly and fully gi-nashi. How much of the wall does one retain so a shakuhachi is termed gi-nashi? Can anyone tell me if it&rsquo;s possible to tune the upper register and retain the timbre of a gi-nashi instrument? Will widening/reshaping the holes or reshaping the utaguchi help? Any guidance will be appreciated. Philip Horan.</P>