Re Advice for Beginning Shakuhachi player

From: Douglas Roberts (robertsd@leibylaw.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 11:17:53 PST

I recently picked up a couple of inexpensive side-blown and end-blown bamboo
flutes from "Erik the Flutemaker," who is a local South Florida maker of
bamboo flutes. My interest was sparked after I read "Blowing Zen" by Ray
Brooks. I've recently order a student model from Monty Levenson and am
serious about learning how to play. I've been bit by the bug.

Can anyone help me with the following:

1) Is there anyone in Florida who plays the shakuhachi besides Dale Olsen at
FSU? Heard of a shakuhachi? There is a definite gap down here as far as
this type of music is concerned.
2) Can you offer any advice re how to learn, what books are helpful, general
practice tips?
3) I ordered the flute from Monty with the tiger bamboo and inlaid bindings.
Any opinions?

Thanks.