Re: Re Advice for Beginning Shakuhachi player

From: Dave.Stevenson@durham.ac.uk
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 01:20:02 PST

can't help with Florida but have been suprised at the amount of interest
in shakuhachi hidden in NE England so I'm sure there are many players lurking
in Florida!

I'm also a beginner and shakuhachi e-list lurker, also with student shak. from Monty.L. Have only
been blowing for a year but very happy with flute. Have to be careful to keep
it in humidified bag to prevent risk of cracking as with any bamboo even if bound. Sound is much
more alive than wooden models from Japan and no probs with third register.

I found Bob Grouse's (sp?) Introduction in the Annals of the International Shakuhachi Soc.
(Vol 1) to be one of the few introductions readily accessible in local library but
apparently it is also distributed free with membership of the Society. But only
really started to make any progress with a teacher as so much seems to be unwritten in
the tradition. I found recordings of the childrens and minyo pieces that I started with
to be invaluable while learning to read the (kinkoryu) notation. I notice
that Monty's web site has a few intros with associated cassettes/CD's.

My 2c
Dave