Re: Response to Jamaes Schlefer Re: tongue position

From: toby (kymarto@gol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 03:04:53 PDT

FWIW the physicists say that in flute playing the position of the tongue and
the shape of the mouth and throat do not affect the sound except insofar as
they affect the air jet that passes the lips. This is not true of other
woodwind instruments (such as the oboe, clarinet and sax) where the mouth
cavity becomes a secondary resonating system that is coupled to and loads
the primary resonating system comprising reed, mpc and the air column in the
instrument.

But as always, how one feels about the mechanics and accoutrements of
playing have a major impact on the playing itself.

Toby