Re: Komuso Practice

From: Stephan Brunner (stephan.brunner@bluewin.ch)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 08:10:50 PDT

Am/Um 18:05 29.05.2001 -0400 nomaDesign schrieb:

about the traditions and routines of the Komuso Monks. Does anyone know
of a source or book that outlines what the life of a Komuso monk was
like? For instance; did they sit zazen daily? did they live/work in a
temple environment? how much of their time was spent 'wandering'? what
was the daily routine like?

I have been able to find little specific information about these
mendicant monks that so many of us spend our lives learning the music
they are known for, yet know remarkably little about.

</smaller></fontfamily>You can find some Information in Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, The
Shakuhachi: A Manual for Learning. The second part is a good historical
source. Also there is information in Robert Grous, Introductory Manual
for Kinko Honkyoku.

You find the books at Montys Website www.shakuhachi.com

Hope that helps,

Stephan

"I love bamboo how it looks

and because men carve it into flutes " (Ikkyu)