Re: Bamboo Way Workshop

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 09:37:39 PDT

>From: Philip Gelb <ryokan@value.net>
>
>>To my knowledge a workshop of this nature has never been given before..
>
>Workshops and numerous writings about the concept of "deep listening"
>and music are not new. Composer Pauline Oliveros has been doing this
>for decades now.

Mary Lu's workshop isn't just about learning to listen - as you
point out many people, including Pauline Oliveros, have taken this
approach in the past. Mary Lu's workshop is, as she notes in her
message, one that looks at the underpinnings of practice in ways
organized to make the idea of practice more than what we went
through as kids between weekly piano lessons (the lessons of which,
in her opinion, still resonate within many of us).

I don't know about Ms. Oliveras' work but I do know Mary Lu's. She
is attempting to bring back into shakuhachi practice some of the
shakuhachi's roots in zen practice. She has been a student of Joko
Beck for some 20 years and has some interesting ideas about, ond a
long personal experience with the shakuhachi as an instrument of
zen.

I heard that you're going to be in NY the weekend she does her
seminar. If you get a chance to take it in, perhaps you could
discuss the similarities and differences between her ideas and those
of Ms. Oliveras.

I'd be interested in hearing them.

bj

-