RE: Shak: A Prana Connection?

From: Bud (bud@rajah.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 06:44:52 PDT

As a young man, I spent a few years studying and even teaching hatha
yoga/pranayama with several teachers around California..

As I move into old age I am enjoying the rigors of "just sitting" Zazen with
the Soto Zen Buddhists, and I have found that playing my newly aquired
"Shakuhachi" (actually longer flutes) for a few minutes in the morning
before I go to sitting practice is immensely helpful from the standpoint of
the "science of breath", pranayama... when I return home later in the day I
spend my day listening to various Shakuhachi musicians (this goes on thru
the night while I sleep as well) studying a little and sitting zazen and
playing various scales, answering birdcalls etc. on my various long flutes
(I have no teacher nearby as yet, but sometimes a player stops by to check
on my progress). It took me a month to learn to play my first note. I spent
another month practicing "Roh", now I just play up and down the scales and
try imitating mourning doves and various other birds... the other day a
blackbird actually came up to me...

So I guess my pranayama/shakuhachi teachers are Mourning Dove Sensai and
Blackbird Sensai ;*) at least for now... I really love playing these flutes,
the sound of bamboo is after all, the sound of Zen... I found the advice of
Suzuki Roshi quite helpful, to paraphrase his chanting instructions, "{Play}
with your ears"...

Brett "Bud" Breitwieser (bud@rajah.com)