Re: shak across the cultures... a plain flute...

From: Joe Lyons (plyons2@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 21:10:12 PDT

Brett and all,

On the topic of traditional flutes used by other cultures,
there is a wooden flute used by traditional Irish musicians, which I find
particularly emotive. It is used to particular effect on a "piece for solo
flute" (from the live album "Toward the Within") by world music group Dead
Can Dance . You can hear the breath and wind in the player's playing. It is
quite moving. I would urge anyone to check it out.

Best regards,

Joe Lyons.