Re: Continuous brething

From: B. Ritchie (nemo2000@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 04:11:12 PDT

Dear Toshi,

This technique is called "circular breathing". It is easily accomplished on
instruments such as the didgeridoo, trumpet or saxophone. On the shakuhachi
it is more difficult. I learned on other instruments before being able to do
it on the shakuhachi.

It is important to understand the concept behind circular breathing before
trying it on an instrument. The easiest way is to blow with a straw in a
glass of water. Fill your mouth with air. Your cheeks should puff out like a
toad. Now use only the cheek muscles to push air into the straw by
contracting them slowly. Before expelling all of the air from the cheeks
refill the mouth with air by taking in a quick breath through the nose. Your
cheeks will be full of air and you can repeat the method again and again.
You will be circular breathing when there is a continuous stream of bubbles
in the glass of water. Your mouth is acting in the same way as the bag in a
set of bagpipes.

Next step is to apply this concept to an instrument. The more resistance an
instrument gives the easier it is. I learned first with the didgeridoo and
then applied it to such things as trumpet, sax, conch shell and others.

Shakuhachi is more difficult than instruments like trumpet. Because your
mouth is completely covering the mouthpiece on a trumpet there is a seal and
it is easy to control the release of air from the mouth. Shakuhachi instead
has an open mouthpiece. So when you push the air out of your cheeks there is
the problem of the air being released not only into the shakuhachi but also
outside the instrument. Of course this is also what happens when playing
the shakuhachi normally. So I recommend practicing circular breathing on the
shakuhachi in the meri position, which creates more resistance and makes it
possible to expel the air from the cheeks more slowly. After mastering it in
meri position gradually try it in normal position.

I hope this is clear.

Regards,

Brian