Re: Shakuhachi Camp Report

From: Takegawa AR (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 07:55:26 PDT

Paul,

Thanks for the great update from Colorado! Cool! Interesting you mentioned
the practice technique of lying down while playing shakuhachi that Yoshio
Kurahashi-san used. This was also shown to me by Takeo Yamashiro in
Vancouver who was friends with Yodo Kurahashi when he was in Kyoto back in
the 60's studying with Kikusui Kofu. Yamashiro-san told me that it helps in
learning how to play using the diaphragm muscles more naturally since we can
feel the up and down motion of the abdomen much easier while lying down.
There may be more to it but I'm not sure.

I'll be seeing Kakizakai-sensei for a lesson tomorrow, so I'm excited to
hear what his impression of the Summer Camp was! See you there next year!
Thanks again! Ganbatte!

Al