Honkyoku Recordings

From: Ronald Nelson (ron@komuso.com)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 10:44:17 PDT

Hi all,

I'm sure any recommendation will be incomplete
and debatable but I think the following sets
cover quite a few honkyoku pieces. Of course
everyone plays them differently and there are
many interpretations of what Honkyoku is, but
that's the fun of collecting. The following
are all available on CD...

'Zen' by Yokoyama Katsuya covers the "Dokyoku" pretty well (15 tracks)
Wergo SM 1033-4 Available at http://www.shakuhachi.com
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Zen_-_Katsuya_Yokoyama_-_01.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Zen_-_Katsuya_Yokoyama_-_02.html

'Meianji Shoden Shakuhachi Honkyoku Shu' by Yoshimura Fuan Soshin
A good overview of 32 Taizan Ha pieces
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Meianji_Shoden_Shakuhachi_Honkyoku_Shu_01.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Meianji_Shoden_Shakuhachi_Honkyoku_Shu_02.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Meianji_Shoden_Shakuhachi_Honkyoku_Shu_03.html

'Shakuhachi no Shinzui' by Yamaguchi covers the 36 Kinko Ryu honkyoku
Victor VZCG-8066-77
Available at Mejiro http://www.mejiro-jp.com/Englishhome.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Shakuhachi_no_Shinzui-Shakuhachi_Honkyoku_-_01.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Shakuhachi_no_Shinzui-Shakuhachi_Honkyoku_-_12.html

'Jin Nyodo no Shakuhachi' by Jin Nyodo covers 39 honkyoku
Teichiku XL-70135-9 Available as http://www.shakuhachi.com
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Jin_Nyodo_No_Shakuhachi_01.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Jin_Nyodo_No_Shakuhachi_06.html

'Collection of Fundamental Tozan Ryu Honkyoku' by various people covers
15 Tozan honkyoku - Victor VICG-40015
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Collection_of_Fundamental_Tozan_Ryu_Honkyoku_-_01.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Collection_of_Fundamental_Tozan_Ryu_Honkyoku_-_02.html
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Collection_of_Fundamental_Tozan_Ryu_Honkyoku_-_03.html

'Yearning for the Bell' series by Riley Lee
A seven disk set, currently 5, on Tall Poppies covering over 40 pieces
Also available at http://www.shakuhachi.com
http://www.komuso.com/people/Lee,_Dr._Riley_Kelly.html

'Zen Spirit' by Tani Senzan covers 8 Ueda Ryu pieces
Oasis WMSCD102 Available at http://www.shakuhachi.com
http://www.komuso.com/albums/Zen_Spirit.html

Cheers,
        Ron