Re: Teachers in the UK update

From: Takegawa AR (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 08:36:10 PDT

Dear list,

I read the post about Iwamoto Yoshikazu not teaching anymore. A few other
friends of mine in the UK got the same response from Iwamoto-san. I am very
concerned about him since he is a very fine player and teacher, and it makes
me wonder what force made him stop playing shakuhachi. I first saw him in
1994 at the International Shakuhachi Festival in Bisei, where he played a
heart-stopping contemporary piece for solo shakuhachi. He also spoke with
such passion for the flute and gave me many lasting inspirational words. I
met him again in Boulder at the WSF '98 and we spent a good amount of time
together talking and me taking lessons from him. He mentioned that he was
just getting over a major illness that stopped him from playing for some
time. I fear perhaps he's had a relapse in his condition or is going through
a dark night of the soul. It would be a waste for the shakuhachi world to
lose one such as him. If we could all send good energy to him, that would be
great.

Sincerely,

Al