RE: unsubscribe (but not to me!)

From: Jeffrey M Angles (angles.2@osu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 22:28:31 PDT

Hello everyone,

My goodness! I am surprised at how negative many of the reactions have been
to those who want to leave the list! Why assume that the unsubscribers all
are angry? Clearly, there have been one or two who have been, though I
suspect that is not the case for all.

Certainly, the incidents of the last several days are not easy. Many people
prefer to talk about them at length, but judging from my own small circle of
American friends here in Japan, I can say that there are just as many people
who find it difficult and exhausting to be confronted by discussion of them
at absolutely every turn. In such cases, the desire to withdraw from such
discussions -- in this case the shakuhachi list -- could be seen as an
equally valid reaction to the shock of the events.

Another possibility.... As we all know, the shakuhachi is not a particularly
easy instrument, and I have met large numbers of people that have quit after
several months or a year. Couldn't some of the unsubscribers also be
individuals who have given up on playing the instrument but just have not
bothered to unsubscribe until now when the burden of mail from this list (to
which I am unwittingly contributing) became so heavy?

In short, don't take these decisions so personally when it is unclear what
lies behind them.

Best wishes,
Jeffrey