List as musical interest / List as community

From: wra@panix.com
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 05:11:39 PDT

i read:

> I subscribed
> to hear about shakuhachi and I think we owe it to everyone
> to stick to topic. There are other forums for this . If I
> offended anyone, i am sorry , times are difficult, lets not
> make it harder for everyone.

I may be wrong in my expression of it, but one fellow
who left the list was is teacher's senior sucessor and
I believe the first player to be awarded DaiShihan
ranking on American soil. Other members who have
expressed opinions, opened their hearts, and shared
their feelings here are likewise members of the
shakuhachi community. It's a small town kind of
thing...real small town. Just like the financial
community may be seen as a large town, or even a
small city. As one who manifests my being on the
fringes of both...<heart opens...emotions flow...and
i return now to...>. Called my friend Ken. We were
Great Friends (Dai???) during my 3.5 year tenure
as rentAprogrammer at Deutschbank. Called him at
his midtown number. This time, first time, no
Ken voice on the VoiceMail prompt. no answer at
all at the number. So I wondered if he had made
the move down town that he mentioned the last time
we talked. Called his home and the answering machine
picked up there. Asked him to call me and left
my work number...because that's where I was at
the time (Brooklyn). Middle of day Thursday head guy
calls folks that haven't left, gives status as
he's heard it and holds out report on status of
member firms. Several pages, but I had interest
only in one so took it, eyeball scanned thru it,
found Deutschebank report which said everybody
had gotten out safely. Called Ken's home number,
left a message that I heard everyone was ok,
and after a while went home.

I know this posting is off-topic, and soon the
list will return to it's MostlyQuiet mode of
operation. Yes, some folks left just because
they subscribe to a lot of lists and have no
real interest in this one. Other perhaps
folks who had interest in shakuhachi but
interest has wained. Increase in volume of
postings probably motivated them off their
procrastination stool and they made the
effort to disconnection from a place where
they had no real interest in being. To
them the content was immaterial...the quantity
just an annoyance that they were able to
make go away with an "unsubscribe" message.
Jim stood on the promenade across the river,
apparently with his wife and two young children
and bore witness to a bit of a holocaust (sp?)
of our own. Might have been better to not
have gone there...I thought about doing it
myself. Almost followed a friend over who
wanted to see it. But by that time the winds
had shifted and coming upon the first
open street it was apparent that it would
not be wise to expose our lungs to possible
damage by venturing futher...that location
was perhaps a mile and a half in from
where Jim stood with his family earlier
in the day...how can I stand in his shoes,
see what he say, and feel anything but
compassion for the horror he must
have felt. Yes, he left in anger.
Traumatic Stress Syndrome triggered