shakuhachi gathering in Berkeley, sunday

From: Philip Gelb (ryokan@value.net)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 09:06:26 PDT

I am also rather surprised to see all the unsubscribers. It is not
possible for me to separate myshakuhachi practice from my spiritual
and political/social beliefs. Obviously most of my colleagues feel
this way.
As Phil James pointed out, all music lists i am on have been getting
mostly email about these tragic events. This is the only one that i
have seen a mass exodus as a result.

On Sunday evening, in Berkeley at the beautiful home of shakuhachi
player (and UC Berkeley Math professor) Robin Hartshorne, many of the
Sanfrancisco Bay area shakuhachi players will gather and play
honkyoku together. Some of the pieces planned are: Kyo Rei, Tamuke,
Koku and Banshiki. Thanks to Karl Young for suggesting the idea and
Robin and his wife, Edie for offering their home for this gathering.
Robin and Edie have repeatedly, generously offered their home for
many local shakuhachi events.

Last night in Oakland and around the world, there were numerous
candle light vigils. Eri and i walked down to Lake Merritt in Oakland
and found several dozen people which was rapidly growing as we
arrived, mostly somber, siting around holding candles and looking
towards the water as the sun went down. Ironically it was a beautiful
evening. Shortly after we arrived 2 marine looking guys started to
sing american the beautiful. Hardly anyone joined in. They did not
even finish the song. Shortly after that dwindled, a very old African
American woman starting to sing, "Nearer my g-d to thee" and
practically everone joined in! What a bneautiful sound. And what a
beautiful moment when a spiritual song won out over a patriotic song!
A plane went over the downtown oakland area and practically everyone,
including myself, was weeping as they looked at the plane.

phil (shakuhachi traitor * smile*)

--
Philip Gelb
ryokan@value.net