Re: shakuhachi gathering in Berkeley, sunday

From: B. Ritchie (nemo2000@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 13:06:21 PDT

Dear Phil and the list,

My email has been down as a result of the brutal attack which struck
within sight of my apartment in Brooklyn. Now that it's up again and I'm
able to peruse the course of "discussion" on this list I wish it had
remained down.

I do not want to comment on the poor timing and insensitivity of those
who appear to make excuses for the terrorists. I think the rash of
unsubscriptions speaks for itself in that regard.

All of us in the shakuhachi community here in NYC are affected directly
by this attack. It is not merely something for us to ponder the
geopolitical implications of over cappuccino and biscotti. For example,
I spoke with a fellow shakuhachi player, an iron worker, who has been
involved in the cleanup and personally pulled bodies from the rubble.

James Schlefer and I rode our bikes to the waterfront here and watched
the World Trade Center collapse. We are still in shock from the sight. I
totally understand his reasons for unsubscribing. Anyone who wishes to
ridicule him for his decision to do so is invited to put themselves in
his shoes for a few minutes.

Phil, it may be difficult to play shakuhachi when your foot is in your
mouth, but obviously that hasn't prevented you from being able to use
the computer. What would you have heard if the "marine looking guys" had
actually succeeded in singing "America the Beautiful"?

"Oh beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain"

What's wrong with that?

"For purple mountain majesty above the fruited plane"

I've been to all 50 states numerous times. It is undeniable that America
possesses great physical beauty.

"America, America, God shed his grace on thee"

Even an atheist like me finds nothing wrong with this sentiment. We can
use any grace we can get.

"And crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea"

That sounds like an ideal goal to aim for in this difficult time.

So you were happy that this didn't get expressed because you made a
judgment about the singers on the basis of their physical appearance.
Bravo!

At the same time I would like to say that I think it is sad that our
little shakuhachi community is being rent asunder by the acrimony
engendered by the various opinions being expressed here. I don't intend
to hold anyone's opinion against him or her. A swirling kaleidoscope of
emotions has been unleashed in the aftermath of this event. Let's be a
little more careful in calculating the effect our words might have on
others.

Brian Ritchie