ro: traveling with shakuhachis

From: wra@panix.com
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 16:37:06 PDT

i mentioned the the addition of a metal detector at my place
of work as a result of the "incident in lower manhattan."
i have passed my black canvas carrying bag containing 1.8
(broken down into two pieces so to fit) 6 times so far.
several different guys manning the station. no problem.
one interesting difference: i don't recall in any airport
i've passed thru seeing the actual contents. the way things
are set up here, the view of the x-ray (?) is where you
can see it as well as the inspector. metal object, even
small ones, are very obvious...while the bamboo is there,
it's cleary not a metal thing...looks quite benign and harmless.
i always wondered what it looked like. now i'd be suprised
if i were ever challenged....having seen it from the inspector's view.

, bill