Re: traveling with shakuhachi

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 20:28:00 PDT

It was during the early 1970's -- a time when hijacking flights to
Cuba was in vogue -- that I flew back East from California to visit
my family in New York and Florida. Had my shakuhachi with me. My dear
Aunt Ida in Brooklyn was kind enough to load me up with a huge box of
knishes (Jewish-style dumplings) as I left JFK Airport for a flight
to Miami. Arriving in Florida I was immediately accosted by a very
belligerent airport security officer who physically blocked my way.
The guy was "in my face" shouting, "Stop!!! What have you got there!"

Freezing this scene for a moment, here's an older gent, clearly a
retired cop (probably from NYC), large, red-faced, faded purple suit,
American flag lapel pin. Me, with long-hair (ah . . . the days of
having hair at all), beard, jeans, holding a large pink box in one
hand and long purple velvet case in the other.

I stepped back away from the dude, took a deep breath and looked him
straight in the eye. Holding up one arm then the other, I said,
"Three dozen split pea knishes . . . and a shakuhachi."

A space in the interaction, like the space between the notes of a
honkyoku piece, ensued. In that pause, some obscure kernel of truth
flitted past. I still ponder it today.

"OK. You can go!"

Wishing you all the very best during this upsetting and unsettling
time. First and foremost, peace and compassion for all who share our
place here on Earth. I'm glad to be part of this family called
shakuhachi . . . spirited, eccentric and opinionated at you all may
be.

Be well. Take care.

Monty

monty@shakuhachi.com