Age & Shakuhachi Study

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 23:30:01 PST

I am a 38 year old who would like to study the Shakuhachi.

Is this a realistic idea for someone my age or do you need to start studying
this instrument at a very young age to achieve any level of competence? My
hope is not to be a master musician - but to play well enough to entertain
family, friends and, of course, myself.

Are there musicians on this list who found the shakuhachi in mid-life and
who accomplished a degree of competence? How long did it take you? How
many years of study does it realisticly take to play solo honkoyoko (sp?)
music well enough to be pleasing to the ears?