Age Issues

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 17:33:32 PST

First of all I just wanted to express my appreciation for all of the
encouraging comments I have received from so many people on the list. This
is clearly the warmest virtual forum I have ever encountered.

What has been most interesting to me is the extent that people enjoy playing
this instrument without any regard for long-term potential to be "masters"
or virtuoso performers. This is an incredibly beautiful idea - and not one
frequently encountered nowadays.

A long time ago I somehow bought into the notion that one should invest
their time and energy in pursuing an art only if he or she had potential to
be a truly great artist. I imagine this is sour by-product of our
ultra-competitive society which places a greater premium on the cult of the
artist than on any authentic piece of art. It is a very liberating notion to
say that the end product is of little or no importance - and that one should
pursue an art for the sheer joy of it alone. I guess it is a sad commentary
on our tv, cd age that this should be a dramatic realization for someone of
my age.

But of course the Shakuhachi is not only a tool for meditation but it is
also a musical instrument- so I more than understand the feelings behind
Zachery's comment. I would love to be able to please a crowd by playing
beautiful music. And though, yes, I love trying to play the shakuhachi on my
own- (I mostly make a lot of screeching noises at this point, but for some
unexplainable reason even this is incredibly enjoyable) - my hope is to be
able to bring the beauty of this music to others. This music is ancient, and
incredibly beautiful, but somehow brings with it the abstract individualism
that many modern composers aspire towards, but fail to bring to their
audiences. (Why I would need to perform this music for others as opposed to
just playing a great cd of shakuhachi music for people to hear is another
question.)

Again - thanks for all the words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted on
my progress.

Stav