Re: Age Issues

From: Philip Gelb (ryokan@value.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 18:16:46 PST

>What has been most interesting to me is the extent that people enjoy
>playing this instrument without any regard for long-term potential
>to be "masters" or virtuoso performers. This is an incredibly
>beautiful idea - and not one frequently encountered nowadays.

I do not think this is in anyway exclusive to shakuhachi students.
The overwhelming majority of people who study music do not plan to be
professionals or masters but do it for enjoyment or possibly as a
means of spiritual practice, a way to relax after their primary job
or other reasons similar. The same with other artforms as well.

The process of learning should be a very enjoyable experience whether
you are goal oriented or not.

phil

--
Philip Gelb