Re: Age & Shakuhachi Study

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 20:16:40 PST

At 7:30 AM +0000 11/3/01, Stav Tapuch wrote:
>I am a 38 year old who would like to study the Shakuhachi.
>
>Is this a realistic idea for someone my age or do you need to start
>studying this instrument at a very young age to achieve any level of
>competence?

Here's another case study. I'm 42 and I've been taking lessons for
about a year and a half. While I'm still reluctant to inflict my
music on friends and family, I'm still making good progress and
having a great time. I took my flute with me to a family reunion this
summer, just so I could keep practicing, and I got a number of
unsolicited compliments from various cousins who overheard me, so I
must be doing something right.

On the other hand, I already had some music background. If I were
starting from scratch I suppose it would have been somewhat harder.
Or at least more frustrating, since I wouldn't know what to expect.

Contrariwise, I think I'm a better music student now than I was in my
20s. Maturity has its advantages.

James