Re: Age Issues

From: B. Ritchie (nemo2000@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 22:07:45 PST

Stav,

Thanks for starting this thread on the shakuhachi list. Your question
and all of the responses have been interesting and relevant.

My thoughts on the issue are as follows.

Shakuhachi is an instrument which is an outgrowth of Buddhist practice.
As such the practice itself is rewarding. Unless one is interested in
becoming a professional shakuhachi performer questions of mastery and
virtuosity are largely irrelevant. Playing shakuhachi on any level has
many rewards, psychological, physical and sometimes spiritual. Studying
the breath is one of the fundamental ways of improving life. You should
not be inhibited by comparing your performance to that of other, more
experienced players. None of us will ever be the "best" shakuhachi
player in the history of the instrument. That player is either dead or
is not yet in existence.

The important thing is to study diligently and play with sincerity.
Shakuhachi is an introverted instrument. Flashy displays of virtuosity
may excite the player and dazzle an audience, but they are not the
essence of the instrument. Many of the most profound honkyoku are simple
and easy to play. Concentration is the main point.

On a practical level, you will be able to play music which will please
yourself and casual listeners within a few months or a year of playing.
Of course you can also study for decades and not achieve total mastery.
But the journey will be rewarding. Stick with it and you will not regret.

Regards,

Brian Ritchie