Re: memorization

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 18:05:43 PST

At 5:40 PM -0500 11/7/01, Dan Gutwein wrote:
>Sometimes I get about a third of the way into the piece and suddenly
>come to the realization that I'm playing a phrase from another
>section later on in the piece.

That happens to me all the time.

>Does anyone have any tips for memorizing pieces that contain phrases
>that are similar enough that you tend to substitute one phrase for
>another?

I find that, with a little thought, I can narrow it down to a few
"decision points," places where if I play one note, the piece goes
one way, and another note goes the other way. Then I only have to
worry about playing those notes at the right time and the rest of the
piece seems to play itself.

I still miss my decision points sometimes, but not nearly as often.
And when I do miss one, I have a clear idea of what went wrong.

James