Re: more on memorization

From: markm@naropa.edu
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 20:05:56 PST

I also teach ear training and find this system interesting in
comparison. Watch out, though, I'm no expert at shakuhachi...

In every lesson I've had, the teacher has used only the five
names of the notes, regardless of whether the note is meri or
kari or whatever, and regardless of whether the melody is
ascending or descending. It's as if a student using solfedge
sang the same syllable for C, regardless of whether the C
is natural, flat or sharp and likewise regardless of whether the
melody is ascending or descending. The student is expected to
sing/hear the adjustment in pitch without utilizing a new
syllable. He or she is also expected to know, or to learn, that
melodic lines follow definite tendencies, and for that reason no
additional syllable is necessary. That is, because in a certain
context the tsu HAS to be meri, there is no confusion.

I sort of like this system because it's so simple (especially
compared to some solfedge systems).

Mark Miller

On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:16:50 -0500 Dan Gutwein wrote:

> Thanks to all who have commented on memorization. Clearly,
memorization
> increases the quality of every dimension of the experience. I
am
> scheduled
> to take my 1st lesson with Ronnie Seldin a week for Saturday
and I'm
> sure I
> will get good advise on how to approach this issue, among
other
> things, but
> I would like to know from the rest of you on the list how exactly
> katakana
> singing "works". Being a music theory teacher, I've taught
"movable DO"
> for many years and have concluded that "multiple-syllable"
note-names
> (like
> C-sharp, or scale-degree "seven") tend to give the impression
of a
> "repeated-tone-rhythms" when there aren't such rhythms in
the
> music. Multi-syllable note-names also take time to utter thus
making the
> singing of fast passages or "atari" quite difficult - if not
> ridiculous. Does katrakana have single-syllable note names
for notes
> like
> Tsu-no-mere? How does one vocalize the very fast but
essential atari - if
> one must use a note-name such as Tsu-no-mere? Are
katakana note names
> used
> for atari-notes or is only one note-name used for the atari and
the note
> immediately following? Are there resources for this
information?

> Thanks
> Dan Gutwein

This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com