Re: length - tuning

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 10:14:36 PST

>From: Dan Gutwein <dfgutw@wm.edu>
>Subject: length - tuning
>
>I'm puzzled by the fact that RO on a 1.8 is a "concert D" and RO on a 2.4
>is a "concert A" (a Perf. 4th lower). I have a 2.1 and RO on it is a
>concert B.
>
>I assumed you lowered the pitch by one half-step for each .1.

This works for flutes between about 1.4 and 2.1. While I'm not
sure about the rate of pitch rise at shorter than 1.4 lengths, as
you get longer than 2.1 or so the corresponding drop in pitch gets
smaller for each .1 sun. (Maybe someone else can explain the
physics of why this is so.)

For instance, a 3.0 is not D and octave below the 1.8, which it
would be if you counted down from 1.8 @ D, but an F above that D.

I think Riley Lee told me that you have to go down to a 3.6 to get
to D an octave below the 1.8.

bj

-