Re: Length & Pitch in Shakuhachi Tuning

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 10:34:58 PST

--============_-1206445993==_ma============

>I'm puzzled by the fact that RO on a 1.8 is a "concert D" and RO on
>a 2.4 is a "concert A" (a Perf. 4th lower). I have a 2.1 and RO on
>it is a concert B. I assumed you lowered the pitch by one half-step
>for each .1. For example: 1.8 = D, 1.9 = D-flat, 2.0 = C, 2.1 = B
>(like mine), 2.2 = B-flat, 2.3 = A and 2.4 = A-Flat (not A). So
>could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong.
>
>Dan Gutwein

Hi Dan,

Classifying a shakuhachi by linear measurement and by pitch are
actually two discreet systems with enough overlap to cause
considerable confusion. The relationship between instruments measured
using the traditional Japanese measuring system of shaku & sun and
pitch measured by hertz or cycles per second is an approximation and
not mathematically precise.

It is analogous to the Earth's annual trip around the sun. Each
calendar year is a bit out of phase with the actual rotation
necessitating the addition of an extra day every four cycles. In this
case, the shakuhachi "leaps" at 2.2'. Starting with a1.3' (Key of
G), each sun added to the length of the instrument lowers the pitch
one semitone. This convenient pattern, however, breaks down when we
get past the 2.1' (Key of B). Hence, a Key of B-flat shakuhachi can
be 2.2' to 2.3' in length. Often, shakuhachi made in the Key of A
(called 2.4') are actually closer to 2.5'. Add to this the different
overall bore diameters used by shakuhachi makers as well as the
relative thickness of the bamboo and resulting chimney heights (i.e.
finger hole depths). These variations in bore parameters will
determine the volume of air column inside the bamboo and account for
small changes in pitch. Makers deal with this issue by slightly
varying the overall length of the bamboo used. I would venture to
guess that, upon close inspection, very few 1.8' shakuhachi exist
that are exactly i shaku ha sun. The same is true for other lengths.

All the best.

Monty

--============_-1206445993==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: Length &amp; Pitch in Shakuhachi
is a &quot;concert D&quot; and RO on a 2.4 is a &quot;concert A&quot;
(a Perf. 4th lower).&nbsp; I have a 2.1 and RO on it is a concert B.&nbsp;
I assumed you lowered the pitch by one half-step for each .1.&nbsp;&nbsp;
For example: 1.8 = D, 1.9 = D-flat, 2.0 = C, 2.1 = B (like mine), 2.2
= B-flat, 2.3 = A and 2.4 = A-Flat (not A).&nbsp; So could someone
please tell me where I'm going wrong.<br>
Dan Gutwein</blockquote>
actually two discreet systems with enough overlap to cause
considerable confusion. The relationship between instruments measured
using the traditional Japanese measuring system of<i> shaku</i>
&amp;<i> sun</i> and pitch measured by hertz or cycles per second is
an approximation and not mathematically precise.</div>
calendar year is a bit out of phase with the actual rotation
necessitating the addition of an extra day every four cycles. In this
case, the shakuhachi &quot;leaps&quot; at 2.2'. Starting with a1.3'&nbsp;
(Key of G),&nbsp; each<i> sun</i> added to the length of the
instrument lowers the pitch one semitone. This convenient pattern,
however, breaks down when we get past the 2.1' (Key of B). Hence, a
Key of B-flat shakuhachi can be 2.2' to 2.3' in length. Often,
shakuhachi made in the Key of A (called 2.4') are actually closer to
2.5'. Add to this the different overall bore diameters used by
shakuhachi makers as well as the relative thickness of the bamboo and
resulting chimney heights (i.e. finger hole depths). These variations
in bore parameters will determine the volume of air column inside the
bamboo and account for small changes in pitch. Makers deal with this
issue by slightly varying the overall length of the bamboo used. I
would venture to guess that, upon close inspection, very few 1.8'
shakuhachi exist that are exactly<i> i shaku ha sun</i>. The same is
true for other lengths.</div>