Re: Breath

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 07:31:11 PST

Dan,

You've totally lost me, but I'd love to undertand this whole business.

> with basic interval recognition. Try listening for the intervals naturally
> produced by different atari and that is a give-away as to the note being
> "ataried-to". Once you know that note, a comparison with your flute can
> tell you the difference between the flute on the recording and your
> own. Some of the more common ataries help to identify
> flute-differences. Try this. Play RO with an atari using the 2nd finger
> (producing the interval RO-RE-RO).

I don't have my flute with me, so I can't try it to be sure, but I'm pretty
sure that playing RO and then lifting the 2nd finger does NOT result in a
RE. Also, I'm not sure if you are using the phrase 'atari' correctly. I
usually here it used as a quick strike, and it doesn't usually result in a
note that you can, per se, tell the pitch of.

But, basically, don't all length instruments have the same intervals? I mean
(and I don't know squat about music theory, so bear with me) the difference
between a RO and a RE on a 1.4 is exactly the same as the same difference as
on a 3.0, right? The notes themselves are different, of course, but the
difference in pitch between the notes should be the same, right? Am I wrong
on this basic assumption?

Thanks,

Zachary Braverman

That produces an interval of a Perfect