Re: New Length/Tuning Page

From: Karl Young (kyoung@slac.stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 15:32:10 PST

Hi Nelson,

One thing I forgot to mention in my note was that it seems to me that a
3.4 shak should still be an octave lower than a 1.7 (doubling the length
of a tube - modulo edge effects - should always halve the frequency
regardless of the units of measurement). Though the shaku unit of length
is 1/10, 10 shakus an octave do not make, therein lies the rub as I see
it (though everything about having separate units getting out of step is
great).

--
Karl Young    kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC  M/S 71  PO Box 20450