Re: Breath

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@prodigy.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 16:22:28 PST

Of course you're right. Since all the instruments play the same intervals,
on needs more information to determine the length of the flute on a
recording--an interval-difference comparison of two instruments playing the
same intervals. I guess wasn't precise enough the 1st time. Let's see if
this helps. If I hear an oshi of a Perfect 4th played as the lowest note
in a recording, and if in the same recording I hear the color of
Tsu-no-meri (soft and less intense) played with an oshi of a Maj. 3rd up to
a clearer RE, then I take my instrument out and play the same intervals,
comparing the difference between my intervals and the recording's. The
interval difference between what I play on my instrument and that of the
recording can be used to make a good guess as to the length of the flute
played on the recording. For example a 2.1 playing a d-g-d on a recording
will sound a minor-third lower than my 1.8 playing the same interval.