Re: searching for Ro

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 10:28:58 PST

> Hi list,
> I've been practicing like a maniac on this flute and
> enjoying it so much. The sound and feel has been coming on
> real nice. Long tones especially have been an experience.
> Only thing bugging me is the Ro. I seem to lose the tone on
> the Ro. I've been listening to recordings and all these
> players seem to get this big, reedy sound on the Ro and all
> i get is a real hollow sound. Is this normal? Am I expecting
> to much at this time? Even long tones on the Ro are a bit
> frustrating as compared to the other notes. Other than that
> I can't seem to put this flute down.
> As always , thanks for all your replies.
>

> Tots Tolentino
> tots@quickweb.com.ph
> http://www.geocities.com/totst
>

> All of the music is out there in the first place, all of
> it. From the beginning of time the music was there. All
> you have to do is try to get a little piece of it. I
> don't care how great you are, you only get a little piece
> of it."
> - Dizzy Gillespie, conversation with Nat Hentoff, 1983

Dear Tots,

Used to bug me too.
I would ask Miyata, Yokoyama, Mitsuhashi, etc.,"How they got this big, reedy
(B-52) sound on the Low RO ?

They all laughed, and had the same answer,"Practice."
You know what ? They were right.

After you can get the sound, to explain to someone it has to do with the
refining the intensity of your embouchure- doesn't really do them any good !
So you will find yourself just telling them to practice (which is the answer
to almost any problem that you are having on the Shakuhachi).

Good Luck.
Persevere and it will come.

Ronnie