Momentum

From: Bruno Deschênes (musis@videotron.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 14:51:46 PST

Hi everyone,

There is something I am having problem with when playing honkyoku
pieces. It is the question of what I would call momentum. When we listen
a Western classical piece, we know of the melody, of different parts in
the piece, some more quiet, some more alive, then the theme comes back
and then there is the ending. With songs it is much simpler. A melody
that is repeated.

With honkyoku pieces, because of the way they are, there is no such
clear defined parts and melodies. My problem is to keep the piece
"alive" and musical all the way to the end. There is some form of climax
in most pieces, but yet, because of their meditative characters, it is
hard to keep a momentum, especially if the piece if long and hard to
play. I can start a piece with a good feeling, but then I kind of get
tired, or I can even loose "focus" and at the end, the only feeling I
have is that I was able to get to the end.

I hope I am clear.

Anyone has some thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Bruno Deschenes
Tel.: (514) 277-4665 * Fax: (514) 844-5498
E-mail: musis@videotron.ca