a journey

From: daniel G. Soergel (dsoergel@juno.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 20:53:35 PST

To carry the image of an ever changing river a little farther, I would
suggest bringing the experience of a journey to playing of a honkyoku. A
journey to me can be as simple as a walk down one's own street. Tonight
while out in the rain I discovered a lovely random pattern of exotic
yellow leaves stuck all over the smooth surfaces of a shiny black car
parked outside. To notice or discover something of wonder gives meaning
to the pleasures of the senses. By habit, we tune out environment to
"function" in a practical sense. Yet even at our most jaded, we can be
suddenly arrested by a autumn display of changing beauty. To walk down
the same old street and "see" it for the first time is to experience it
in the present, and not navigate it from memory.

In this way honkyoku should be played. Although we do navigate a piece
from memory in a technical sense, there is so much to be discovered in
the playing that I pause before starting to consider that there is
something of great wonder to be found inside, somewhere. The years of
repetition or concentrated practice only get in the way if I am trying to
get from point a to point b.... to have a goal, a destination, and not an
experience.

I paddle my canoe up and down the same river year after year in all the
moods of nature. It is a steady reminder that the goal oriented world of
purpose and achievement is not the whole picture. An internal landscape
where one can respond to beauty in the moment of discovery is real as
well. And if shakuhachi floats your boat, what better way is there to
cultivate it?

Dan Soergel

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.