posture

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@wm.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 13:24:30 PST

Dear list,

This is really a question about practicing Zen meditation, so I hope it is
not too off topic for the list. I have a question about posture and
approaches to sitting while practicing suizen. For many years I've found
peace and calm just reading and contemplating Buddhist and Zen literature,
but not until I took up playing the shakuhachi (last May), did I begin a
regular practice of sitting/meditating. I practice shakuhachi for about 90
min. at a stretch once or twice a day, and for all but the first 10 minutes
I'm just fine sitting cross-legged or half-lotus, but the manner of sitting
that seems most profound to me (kneeling and sitting on my ankles or feet),
also causes my feet and legs some serious discomfort (ultimately numbness!)
after only 10 minutes! Therefore, I only sit this way while blowing RO for
the first 10-15 minutes. I would love to be able to sit in this posture
longer, but just can't. I don't want to believe that being 50 years old is
an excuse. Am I being too ideological? Is this just the naivety of a
beginner? Suggestions -- comments?

Dan Gutwein