Re: posture

From: B. Ritchie (nemo2000@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 13:57:39 PST

Dan Gutwein wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> This is really a question about practicing Zen meditation, so I hope it is
> not too off topic for the list. I have a question about posture and
> approaches to sitting while practicing suizen. For many years I've found
> peace and calm just reading and contemplating Buddhist and Zen literature,
> but not until I took up playing the shakuhachi (last May), did I begin a
> regular practice of sitting/meditating. I practice shakuhachi for about 90
> min. at a stretch once or twice a day,

It might be wise not to play continuously for such long periods every day.
Many shakuhachi players develop repetitive stress syndrome because of
overdoing it. Play a piece, rest, play another etc.

> and for all but the first 10 minutes
> I'm just fine sitting cross-legged or half-lotus, but the manner of sitting
> that seems most profound to me (kneeling and sitting on my ankles or feet),
> also causes my feet and legs some serious discomfort (ultimately numbness!)
> after only 10 minutes!

I have seen several performers wobble off the stage in their kimono because of
this phenomenon.

> Therefore, I only sit this way while blowing RO for
> the first 10-15 minutes. I would love to be able to sit in this posture
> longer, but just can't.

I once asked Katsuya Yokoyama if he recommended sitting seiza for practicing
shakuhachi, and his response was, "Sure, if you want to be like me. Unable to
run, walk or stand comfortably!" with a laugh. He plays sitting in a western
chair.

It is also acceptable to practice standing up, with one foot slightly forward.
This is a common posture the komuso used. I personally think this gives the
best diaphragm support and allows the player to incorporate the entire body
into the performance better than any other method. You are really rooted to
the ground when standing and playing like that.

> I don't want to believe that being 50 years old is
> an excuse. Am I being too ideological? Is this just the naivety of a
> beginner? Suggestions -- comments?

Unless you are Japanese and have been sitting seiza since childhood there is
no reason to expect that you would be comfortable in that position. If you
must sit that way the chairs which are manufactured for that purpose are very
helpful. I know that John Singer has started teaching in a seiza chair because
of problems he was having with his knees and likes it very much. So does James
Schlefer, although he has no leg problems.

Regards,

Brian