Re: posture

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 18:06:34 PST

I'm glad to have my own observations and beliefs backed up by Peter.

Many people in Japan do walk bow-legged, and it is indeed because of seiza,
at least to a large extent.

There is no conceivable reason to insist on playing seiza other than
adherence to tradition; it doesn't help you play any better than sitting in
a chair or standing up. That said, I like the mood of solemnity it brings
and sometimes use it for individual songs. For a longer practice session,
though...I don't really see the point. After all, we don't insist on
playing with baskets on our heads, do we?

(There is a large masochistic element to Japanese culture that I often hope
does not get transmitted to the States in the form of Eastern spirituality
mumbo jumbo. Obviously, if your knees are in pain, you're going to have
that much less focus on your flute.)

Zachary Braverman

On 01.11.29 10:43 AM, "PH" <bamboomuse@yahoo.com> opined: