A historical question

From: Bruno Deschênes (musis@videotron.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 12:39:31 PST

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the history of the shakuhachi. Today's
shakuhachi as we know it came into existence in the 18th century. As far
as I know, before that it was similar to the Chinese xiao, its ancestors
(or is it?). I am curious of the following: what prompted these major
changes in terms of type of bamboo (i.e. using madake instead of a
thinner bamboo), the shapes of the utabuchi adn the use of 4 layers of
roots.

I did not find anything pertinent on that so far.Does Christopher
Blasdel say anything about that in his book?

Thanks a lot

Let the sound of shakuhachi the sound of peace, inner and outer!

Bruno Deschenes
Tel.: (514) 277-4665 * Fax: (514) 844-5498
E-mail: musis@videotron.ca